Thursday, August 9, 2007

My Birthing

I found a house back in early July via craigslist that seemed exciting. The house is a special ecological design called a passive house. It's basically a super efficient house with thick insulated walls and an airtight construction to reduce heating and cooling costs to about %10 of a normal house. For some reason, Urbana is the epicenter of passive houses in America. The first one was built here. This house is the second one built in America and there is another one going up next door.

At first I was a little worried about the landlord/housemate. She said she studied power dynamics--the sociology of how people exert power over one another. I was more than a little concerned that she would think that she was constantly being oppressed by someone. But hey, I've lived with people with views far from my own before, so I'll be fine for a semester at least. I emailed her and called her and we talked and it sounded like a great fit. She likes tea, is excited I'm bringing a worm composting bin, and is willing to give me some creative control over the garden.

Well, about two weeks before leaving CA (the Wednesday before camping) I called this woman--Beth is her name--to ask what cookware she had and what I should bring. She was with company at the time so she asked if she could call me back the next day. That was perfect since I had Thursday off from work. I got no reply the next day and my mom began to worry (I'm not very good at worrying for myself. This is usually a good thing). After work on Friday, I got an email from Beth.

Long story short, there had been some confusion and she had continued the process with someone else thinking I was no longer interested. This confusion was about half her fault and about half mine give or take %10 or so. I figured this would be an easy thing for her to fix, but it turned out the other person is one of her close friends. Her friend may or may not move in on September 1, so at least I have a place to stay until then. Additionally, she tells me she is leaving on Saturday for Canada and probably will be unreachable. She'll be back "around the 10th" (the day I already told her I'd be coming).

I arrived on the 11th just in case, after a wonderful 5 day visit with Lyndsay. She was in town, I was told by a man watering the foundation next door, but had just left on her bike. I left a note and pedaled in search of food finding a Vietnamese wedding, a non-English speaking woman selling Asian veggies on a park bench, and a veterinary building that smelled like cows on the way.

I got a call from Beth and I was excited and nervous to return to the house and meet her. She told me she had been hit by a car. She was alright, but in shock and hoping for a peaceful night.

I ate, came home, and have proceeded in awkwardness for the last few hours. I'd don't really know how to be social with someone new without being jovial, and I don't want to bother her by unloading my car too much. I'm sure she'll be in a better mood tomorrow.

No comments: